Header Ads Widget

Custom Widget

Remembering Steve Albini, a restless creative who changed rock music forever

 



I vividly recall the moment I first encountered Steve Albini's music. As a high school freshman yearning for something more intense than the classic rock albums of my childhood, I sought out albums with a raw, gritty sound. While I had explored "lo-fi" and "noisy" records like In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and Loveless, they didn't quite satisfy my craving for sonic chaos.

Then, someone recommended an album titled Songs About Fucking by Big Black. The cover art was stark – the band's name emblazoned above a profane title against a green backdrop, accompanied by a cartoon of a moaning woman. It felt illicit, like contraband on my phone. I was intrigued.

Listening to it on my earbuds between classes, I was immediately assaulted by the opening track. Steve's vocals pierced through the cacophony, declaring, "The backBONE of this country is the independent truckers"! The guitars were distorted beyond recognition, creating a dissonant wall of sound that left my head pounding. It was as if a swarm of enraged wasps had seized control of a chainsaw.

For a moment, I questioned if my earbuds were malfunctioning. But then I realized that I was experiencing something entirely new – a visceral, primal form of rock music that reawakened my senses. In that hallway, amidst the chaos, I felt alive, as if I were rediscovering the power of music for the first time.

Read More.......

No comments:

Beauty

Powered by Blogger.